Monday, July 18, 2011

Crafty Secrets New Product Show Offs!

It's Crafty Secrets challenge time, and this month we are showing off the new stuff!
I decided to show off the Mini Vintage Creative Scraps. I've been having so much fun these scraps, I did some ATC's and now soldered magnets.



I made these magnets with images from the Mini Vintage Creative Scraps, it's so hard for me to pick out which ones I want to use, they're all so pretty!



Here are the supplies I used. I got this soldering kit from Ellen Hudson a few years ago, I checked and she still carries them.
I used a 12x12 ceramic tile that I got from Lowes to do the soldering on, it's a good work surface, it can take the heat of the soldering iron. I got the Memory Frames from Inspiratiaon Emporium, they have all sizes.


I traced around this glass piece on the butterfly from the back of the Creative Scraps and cut it out. I added the tiny words, Vintage Girl from the scraps.


I sandwiched the image between 2 pieces of glass and added the copper foil tape around the pieces. The foil tape is sticky, so it's easy to apply.


I used my bone folder to smooth the tape on the edges and corners, I fold the corners like I would when I'm wrapping a gift.


Next, you paint on flux all around the foil tape, it's a liquid and it's very important in the process. Then apply your solder. I've found that the less solder I use the better, I used to pile it on and it took me forever to try and smooth it out. Now, I just melt small drops of solder on the edge, lay down my solder and smooth it with the iron. Keep in mind, I'm not an expert at this, I don't do it often, I wish I had more time for it. There are SO many things you can make from soldered pieces, magnets, jewerly, embellishments, etc.
When it's cooled, you can smooth the rough edges with the nail file and polish it with a soft cloth. *see my finger nails, it's white crackle polish by OPI, not distress crackle paint Ü*
I glued magnets on the back with E6000.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have a great day, thanks for stopping by!

Smiley from millan.net














28 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh... very cool Pam! New to me! thanks for the tutorial!

Jan Hennings said...

Love these! The copper foil tape works so well for this and I'll have to give it a try :)

vio~ said...

Yow!!! I love what you did with the creative scraps Pam! thank you for sharing! (new to me too) :)

Tammy Roberts said...

WOW... love these magnets! Great tutorial too!

Hearts Turned said...

These are fabulous, Pam! I really need to learn a little soldering!

Julie

Becky Dunham said...

Pam - these magnets are fabulous! What a great little tool - looks like fun :)

rebeccadunham at hotmail dot com

Jen said...

very beautiful and inspiring

Star Ark Creativity said...

I like how you soldered the pieces together and then made it into a magnectic. I used to do stain glass so I own all the stuff you done with this project. I will diffectly try this out. Thank you for sharing.
Have a great day :)
Delama
p.s. I aslo shared your project on my facebook.

busymartha said...

These are so sweet, love all the images, what I really love is the vintage cookie tin you display them on, I love the pattern on the tin! Marilyn

Mickie said...

This is way cool and love all the patterns.

LauraB said...

thanks for sharing!

gypsy rose said...

love this! thanks for the info.

Judy Cook said...

Those are beautiful. I've never had the courage to try that.

Jane Wetzel said...

awesome- one day I HAVE to do this- the new CS sets are gorgeous.. :)

Unknown said...

What a fun tutorial and great magnets!
hugs,
Gini

Sandi McLean said...

Very cool! Soldering isn't something I have tried yet..you do make it look not too hard!

Dee in N.H. said...

Oh WOW! Gorgeous!

Kelly said...

Great use of the scrap sheet images! I used to do soldering but haven't for a long time. Thanks for the links!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial Pam, and your projects are gorgeous, now I need to pull out all my soldering stuff and give it another try.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

This set is on my order list. Love your project. Thanks for the how to's..would be great little projects to keep on hand for last minute little treasures to share.

Kitty said...

I have all the glass and supplies for the magnets as I use to do stain glass all the time. My supplies have sat on the shelf gathering dust for sometime. You have inspired me to create in it again.

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Beautiful end results for this project. Thank you for the picture tutorial on how to make our own too.

VAWM said...

This looks like a lot of fun! Great idea!

NWFlamingo said...

You make this look so easy and the results are beautiful.

FauveDesign said...

That is so creative,beautiful!

Unknown said...

Absolutely awesome! Love the pattern paper:)

Conniecrafter said...

these are so cool, one thing I would like to try sometime! Thanks for the tips!

zehra said...

Wow! They are beautiful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...